Feb 22, 2015 SEA Meeting Notes
Meeting convened at Jim’s on 22 Feb at 15:45h.
- Watched the Greenpeace Arctic Action Webinar.
- Discussed actions to oppose Shell Arctic drilling with Greenpeace organizers.
- Next regular meeting will be 15 March 2015.
- Letter writing #1: write Senators to pressure Corps of Engineers to respect Lummi Treaty Rights.
- Letter writing #2: write WA Dept of Natural Resources to follow FSC rules in managing state forests.
- Discussed planning for Earth Day Celebration at Seattle Central CC on 18Apr. Note: Changed to Wed, April 22nd, Earth Day itself.
Attendees: Basilia, Isa (facilitator), Jim (host, notetaker), Mary, Mike, Rich, Ruth, Susan & 2 Greenpeace Organizers
Next Regular Meeting: 15 Mar 2015
Action Item: Rich
Rich proposed: 1) we write our Senators to pressure the Corp of Engineers to abide by the treaty rights of the Lummi Indians, and 2) we write WA Dept of Natural Resources to use Forestry Stewardship Council guidelines for forestry management, rather than timber industry Sustainable Forestry Initiative standards. Rich will post specifics on SEA-discuss.
Last Month Actions:
– Keystone Forum Panel Discussion on Gov. Inslee’s Carbon Pollution Accountability Act
– Kane Hall Panel on Gov. Inslee’s Carbon Pollution Accountability Act
– University Unitarian Church Tabling
– 350 Bellingham Unitarian Divestment Meeting
– House Hearing on Gov. Inslee’s Carbon Pollution Accountability Act
– Stop Exploding Oil Trains Demonstration on I-5
– Mike O’Brian Labels on Gas Pump Hearings, Plant for the Planet. Community must push the city council.
– Rising Tide Organizing Meeting
– Pledge of Resistance to KXL Pipeline, 70,000 but Stale Network; Credo & Rainforest Action Network involved.
– Port Townsend Reasons for Hope, Laura Tucker
– Global Divestment Day at UW
– WA Mend … initiative to WA legislature
– Wallingford Methodist Church Climate Change Presentation by Rich
– 350.org Seattle monthly meeting
– Wrote to Port Commissioners
Earth Day: Climate Action Festival …
Info from Meeting has been updated to show status as of 3/10/2015
Seattle Central CC to sponsor on 22April;
Entertaining, Informative, Family Friendly … Music, Art
Sierra Club, CCL, Climate Soln, 350, WEC, SEA endorsements; need more support.
Ideas for event from SEA meeting:
Explore company endorsements & support … Starbucks, Zipcar, REI
Food Companies … PCC, Madison Market, Theo, Tilth … Food Trucks
Seattle Sustainable Businesses
Carrot-Mobbing nudges businesses to become more sustainable by promising more patronage.
Governor, Nick Likata
Greenpeace will be involved; explore inviting Annie Leonard to speak.
Positive Approach … Cross-Country Skiing, Beaches, Hiking; also International Students
You Are Powerful … Spread the Message, How to Spread the Word …. the Stranger, the Weekly
Tabling … ?costs
Synchronize with Bellevue Comm College & UW Earth Day Celebrations
Greenpeace: Actions to Oppose Shell Arctic Drilling
– Put pressure on Port Commission to rescind the approval for Foss Maritime to service Shell Arctic drilling rigs at terminal 5.
– Put pressure on Foss Maritime to back out of their contract with Shell.
– Explore legal action against the Port Commission or Foss Maritime through Earth Justice.
– Mobilize to call the White House 16-20Mar; ask Obama & Sally Jewel at DOI to oppose Shell’s Arctic drilling.
– Port Hearing on 24Feb
– Rally No Oil Trains 24Feb
– Greenpeace Call the White House 16-20Mar