What’s happening: On June 24, over 600 volunteers from Citizens’ Climate Lobby will be in Washington, DC lobbying their members of Congress to support Fee and Dividend legislation. These volunteers are traveling from all across the US on their own dime to make the case for what they see as the best first step to a stable climate and a livable world. As of June 5, these volunteers had already scheduled 400 meetings with congressional offices, even though many offices will not make an appointment more than 1-2 weeks in advance. Their effort will leave a mark.
How to Help: This effort will leave a bigger mark with your help. Citizens’ Climate Lobby is asking people concerned about the climate to share that concern with their members of Congress on June 23, and to express their desire for serious congressional action on climate. We hope this will accomplish two goals:
1. Calls will send a message about how many people in their district care about the climate.
2. It will focus their attention on the issue, increasing the chances that our volunteers will be able to break through in their meetings the next day.
What to Say: The message can be short and simple. For example:
“Hi, my name is _____ and I’m a constituent. I’m very concerned about climate change, and I want the Congressman to consider serious legislation to fix this problem. Thank you, and have a nice day.”
That’s all you have to say. Ready to help? If you are able to take a minute to call your US representative and senators on 6/23/14, you can find the right phone numbers here: http://www.opencongress.org/people/zipcodelookup
If you want to make life really easy for the CCL volunteers at the conference, consider also telling your representative and senators that you agree with Citizens’ Climate Lobby, and you think Carbon Fee and Dividend is the policy you want. On June 9, CCL released a study showing that Fee and Dividend will:
• Reduce CO2 emissions by 33 percent after 10 years, 52 percent after 20 years.
• Create 2.1 million jobs in the first 10 years.
• Add between $70 and $85 billion to annual gross domestic product (GDP) after 2020.
• Save 227,000 American lives over 20 years because of reduced air pollution.
You can learn more about Fee and Dividend at citizensclimatelobby.org.
THANK YOU for making your calls on 6/23/14! Together we can save our climate for this and future generations!